Should a Career in Cloud Computing Be Your Next Move?
Cloud computing is growing at an astronomical rate. As companies throughout the world migrate to the cloud, the job market has swelled, which is why many who work in IT have focused on bringing their cloud skills up to-to-date to meet the growing demand.
“Since its inception ten years ago, cloud computing has expanded and evolved into one of the biggest paradigm shifts in the computer age. Almost all the digital disruption that is occurring today has some form of cloud computing at its core.”KPMG, 2017
The high demand for these skills alone would be reason enough to pursue a career in cloud computing but if you need more convincing, here are 7 other reasons why you should consider developing your CV or switching your IT job path to go where the opportunities are:
- According to Gartner, the global giant in information technology research, worldwide cloud services are predicted to grow by 18% this year, up from $209bn to $246.8bn.
- This growth is echoed by global market intelligence firm, IDC, who reported that spending on cloud computing is growing at 4.5x that of IT spending in 2009 and is expected to reach $162bn by 2020. It’s not going anywhere soon!
- LinkedIn’s Global Top Skills List of 2016 ranked Cloud and Distributed Computing as the #1 skill that will get you hired.
- Jobs in cloud computing are varied – you don’t need to be stuck with one discipline. From developers and architects to analysts, engineers, technicians, security managers and administrators, there are multiple entry points and areas to work in.
- Salaries are competitive in cloud computing and, according to Computer Weekly, averages range from £47k to £83k for permanent roles dependent on skills and experience.
- You can easily build your practical experience for free by taking advantage of the free or discounted trials offered by the market-leading cloud providers. By exploring the tech yourself, you can give yourself a head-start and make contributions to open source projects to build a demonstrable profile.
With so many cloud computing jobs and training available, IT professionals throughout the UK could future-proof their careers by building on their existing skillset with cloud computing development.
Curious as to which jobs are hot right now in IT? Take a look at these current vacancies.